I began with a degree in Theoretical Physics and then moved to Philosophy, first at the Babeș-Bolyai University, Cluj, then, for the PhD, at the University of Bucharest (PhD in 2000). I had a number of post-doctoral fellowships and visiting scholarships at the New Europe College, Bucharest, Warburg Institute, University of London, Princeton University, Max Planck Institute for History of Science, Berlin and LMU, Munich.
I am particularly interested in the emergence of early modern experimental philosophy and I did quite a bit of research on Francis Bacon’s arts of thinking, his project for the reformation of knowledge, and its reception in the seventeenth-century. My AOS is early modern philosophy and the sciences from Bacon to Newton.
I work on a number of research projects, all having something to do with early modern philosophy and the emergence of science. I am the co-editor of the Journal of Early Modern Studies and co-founder of the Princeton Bucharest Seminar in Early Modern Philosophy. Since 2017 I have joined The Oxford Francis Bacon project. For some of my recent research grants and projects see below.
My area of competence include history of philosophy in the Renaissance & early modernity, history of cosmology, but also Roman Stoicism and the reception of Stoicism in the Renaissance and early modern philosophy. I have recently finished a book on Seneca’s Philosophical Theatre which provides a guide and interpretation of Seneca’s Letters to Lucilius. I am currently working on a book called The Hunt of Pan: Francis Bacon’s art of experimentation and the invention of science.
Since 2009 I teach in the Department of Theoretical Philosophy, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest.
- Dana Jalobeanu (2020). Francis Bacon’s “Perceptive” Instruments, Early Science and Medicine, 25 (6), 594-617.
- Dana Jalobeanu (2020). Experiments in the Making: Instruments and Forms of Quantification in Francis Bacon’s Historia Densi et Rari, Early Science and Medicine, 25(4), 360-387. doi: https://doi.org/10.1163/15733823-00254P04
- Dana Jalobeanu (2020), Enacting recipes: Francis Bacon and Giovan Battista Della Porta on technologies, experiments and processes of nature, Centaurus, 62 (3) 425-446. https://doi.org/10.1111/1600-0498.12334
- Dana Jalobeanu and Oana Matei (2020), Treating plants and laboratories: A chemical history of vegetation in 17th century England, Centaurus, 62 (3) 542-561. https://doi.org/10.1111/1600-0498.12321
- Dana Jalobeanu (2020) Francis Bacon on axioms, laws, rules and principles: An overview, Revue Roumaine de Philosophie, 64, 2, 325-340.
- Dana Jalobeanu (2019), Francis Bacon on sophists, poets and other forms of self-deceit (or, What can an experimental philosopher learn from a theoretically informed history of philosophy), in Peter Anstey and Albert Vanzo, Experiment, Speculation and Religion in Early Modern Philosophy, Routledge, London.
- Dana Jalobeanu (2018), Spirits coming alive: The subtle alchemy of Francis Bacon’s Sylva Sylvarum, Early Science and Medicine, 23 (5-6) 459-486.
- Dana Jalobeanu (2016), “The marriage of physics and mathematics”: Francis Bacon’s on measurement, mathematics and the construction of mathematical physics, in Minesotta Studies in Philosophy of Science 20, 51-80.
- Dana Jalobeanu (2016), Disciplining experience: Francis Bacon’s experimental series and the art of experimenting, Perspectives on Science, 34 (3) 324-342.
- Dana Jalobeanu (2016) Bacon’s apples: a case-study in Bacon’s experimentation, in Guido Giglioni, James Lancaster, Sorana Corneanu and Dana Jalobeanu, Francis Bacon on Motion and Power, Springer, Cham, 83-113
- Dana Jalobeanu (2015) The Art of Natural History: Francis Bacon in Context, Zeta Books, București.
- Dana Jalobeanu and Peter Anstey (eds.) (2011) Vanishing matter and the laws of physics: Descartes and beyond, Routledge, London.
- Francis Bacon, Opere filosofice (1): Sylva Sylvarum. O istorie naturală în zece centurii, ediție critică coordonată de Dana Jalobeanu (traducere și aparat critic de Dana Jalobeanu, Doina Cristina Rusu, Claudia Dumitru, Oana Matei și Grigore Vida, cuvânt înainte și anexe de Dana Jalobeanu), Humanitas, București, 2017
- Francis Bacon, Cele două cărți despre progresul și excelența cunoașterii, traducere și note de Dana Jalobeanu și Grigore Vida, introducere de Dana Jalobeanu, Humanitas, București, 2012
- Francis Bacon, Noua Atlantidă, traducere și note de Dana Jalobeanu, introducere de Dana Jalobeanu, Nemira, București, 2007.
What I do
Filosofie naturală și originile științei moderne
Contemporary trends in philosophy of science
Știință și pseudo-științe
Filosofia naturală și originile științei moderne
Cambridge History of Philosophy of the Scientific Revolution
The Oxford Francis Bacon
Cafeneaua filosofică de vineri seara – The Philosophical Cafe